Welcome to the media center for the Northern Fox River Valley in Illinois. If you are researching and writing stories on the area, you’ll find information here on events, attractions, businesses and adventures.
Facts about the Northern Fox River Valley
- Elgin was founded in 1835 by the Gifford Brothers, who were attracted to the Fox River on their trek west.
- Elgin is named after the Scottish Hymn the song of Elgin.
- Elgin is located 35 miles northwest of Chicago.
- Elgin had a total population of 108,188 as of the 2010 census, making it the eight largest city in Illinois, and the 241st largest city in the USA.
- The last four stops of the Chicago’s Metra Milwaukee District/West Line are in the Northern Fox River Valley. The Pace bus system serves the communities in the area.
- The Elgin Public Museum founded in 1907, is the oldest purpose built museum in Illinois.
- America’s longest highway, US Route 20, runs through the Northern Fox River Valley area.
- Illinois Railway Museum, in Union, is the largest railway museum in the United States.
- Muirhead Farmhouse, in Hampshire, is the only farmhouse ever designed and built by Frank Lloyd Wright in his lifetime.
- In 2010, Good Morning America crowned 2nd Street in West Dundee the Best Block in America.
- The Headless Horseman makes an appearance on Halloween every year in Sleepy Hollow. This is a community tradition that brings all the families together.
- Bartlett is home to North America’s largest traditional Hindu mandir, the B.A.P.S. Shri Swaminarayan.
- Carpentersville is home to the 25-acre bike park, Andres Bike Park.
- In 2011, the Village of South was ranked in the CNN/Money’s Top 100 again for economic strength, great job opportunities, top schools and safe streets.
- Santa’s Village Azoosment Park, in East Dundee, is celebrating 55 years of bringing thousands of guests from all over the country!
Arts capital of the suburbs
Elgin is becoming increasingly recognized for its edgy creative scene and vibrant arts community.
- The Elgin Symphony Orchestra performs at the Hemmens Cultural Center.
- Live artist interpretations take place weekly at Side Street Studio.
- Work from local artists lines the walls of Artspace and HOTI Design.
- Festivals include Art & Soul on the Fox and Elgin Fringe Festival.
Fox River Bike Trail
Explore over 40 miles of bike trail built on former railroad tracks, passing through 11 local communities. Find out more about the Fox River Bike Trail.
Golf lovers’ paradise
The Northern Fox River Valley is particularly rich in great public golf courses.
- Highlands of Elgin was #2 on Golfweek’s list of the best State by State Courses you can play.
- Highlands of Elgin was also listed #8 by Golfweek in their list of Best Municipal Courses.
- Wing Park Course is the oldest nine-hole municipal golf course in Illinois, established in 1908.
Many of the communities in the Northern Fox River Valley were founded to build and service the railroads in the area. The area is now rich in railroad history.
- Take the Metra from Chicago to honor the region’s railroad pride.
- Visit the Fox River Trolley Museum in East Dundee.
- Visit the Illinois Railway Museum, in Union, the largest railway museum in the USA.
OneHockey Tournament Comes the Elgin!FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: In a press conference scheduled for Thursday, September 21st at 11:00am at the Leafs Ice Centre in West Dundee, the Elgin Area Convention & Visitors Bureau will announce a highly anticipated Youth Ice Hockey Tournament. The Elgin Area Convention & Visitors Bureau is partnering with OneHockey to host the Central State...
Naper Settlement October 2017 Events and ProgramsOktoberfest Experience a weekend full of live music and delicious German food and beer under a large heated tent at Naper Settlement’s annual Oktoberfest on Friday, Oct. 6from 5 to 10 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 7 from 12 to 10 p.m. and Sunday, Oct. 8 from 12 to 5 p.m. located at 523 S. Webster St., Naperville. Visitors will enjoy different music each day...
4th Annual VolunteerPalooza set for 9/30The Elgin Volunteer Coordinator Network (EVCN) will host the fourth annual VolunteerPalooza on Saturday, September 30 at the Gail Borden Public Library in the Meadows Community Room, located at 270 N. Grove Ave. The free volunteer fair runs from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. People of all ages are invited to attend and learn about ways to volunteer in...
Judson’s Stellar Architecture Program to Celebrate 20th AnniversaryJudson University’s esteemed Architecture program has reached a milestone.This year, the 20th anniversary celebration of Judson Architecture will occupy the place of the annual James Didier Symposium On Christ and Architecture on Friday and Saturday, Sept. 15-16. The celebration will begin with a special gallery opening of alumni architectural projects Friday, Sept. 15, in the Harm...
Judson to Host a Marathon of Music, Worship, Prayer and Testimonies to Raise Funds for Hurricane Harvey VictimsTo aid the many victims of recent Hurricane Harvey throughout the state of Texas, Judson University’s Demoss Center for Worship in the Performing Arts will host a “marathon” music, prayer and testimony vigil set to begin at 12:45 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 9, at the Thulin Auditorium in Thompson Hall (1151 N. State St., Elgin). It will culminate...
Wendy Evans promoted to ESO Director of Community Engagement and Orchestra Personnel Audra Odzana named Patron Services ManagerThe ESO has promoted a long-time employee and hired a new patron services manager. Wendy Evans has been promoted to ESO Director of Community Engagement and Orchestra Personnel, and Audra Odzana has been named Patrons Services Manager. Wendy Evans, an ESO musician in the first violin section since 1996, was hired as personnel manager...
Judson University Lands on Best Online Bachelor’s in Organizational Leadership ListJudson University is listed among the 35 Best Online Bachelor’s in Organizational Leadership programs by the college ranking and resource website, College Choice. Judson ranked at No. 19 for Best Online Bachelor’s in Organizational Leadership degree programs. The full ranking is available here. According to College Choice, the ranking considered academic excellence and return...
Global Outreach Week Launches September 4In less than two weeks, Judson students will learn about the many ways they can shape the world during Global Outreach Week, Monday–Friday, Sept. 4-8, on the Elgin campus (1151 N. State St., Elgin). Guest speakers have been lined up and special evening activities have been planned to further focus on the role Christians play...
ESO Ensemble to present free Around the World with Percussion concert at Geneva Public Library August 16, 10:30 amThe Elgin Symphony Orchestra (ESO) Percussion Ensemble will present Around the World with Percussion at the Geneva Public Library, 127 James Street, on Wednesday, August 16 from 10:30-11:30 am. This free program will circle the globe and visit countries around the world. The ensemble shows-off the incredible variety of instruments that make up the percussion family, and introduces children to music...
Judson Prepares for Outstanding Homecoming Weekend of ActivitiesJudson University is once again preparing for a festive and full weekend of food, fun and #judsonawesome fellowship during Homecoming 2017. The three-day extravaganza, which will run Thursday–Saturday, Sept. 21-23, will be filled with dynamic speakers, great music, class reunions and connections with family and friends. On Thursday, Sept. 21, Judson will host its popular business-themed Network...
View Press Releases
Sign up for the Elgin Area CVB newsletter
Sign up for our newsletter to find out about upcoming Northern Fox River Valley meetings and events, business and networking events, tradeshows and marketing opportunities.