Welcome to the media center for the Northern Fox River Valley in Illinois. If you are researching and writing stories on the area, you’ll find information here on events, attractions, businesses and adventures.
Facts about the Northern Fox River Valley
- Elgin was founded in 1835 by the Gifford Brothers, who were attracted to the Fox River on their trek west.
- Elgin is named after the Scottish Hymn the song of Elgin.
- Elgin is located 35 miles northwest of Chicago.
- Elgin had a total population of 108,188 as of the 2010 census, making it the eight largest city in Illinois, and the 241st largest city in the USA.
- The last four stops of the Chicago’s Metra Milwaukee District/West Line are in the Northern Fox River Valley. The Pace bus system serves the communities in the area.
- The Elgin Public Museum founded in 1907, is the oldest purpose built museum in Illinois.
- America’s longest highway, US Route 20, runs through the Northern Fox River Valley area.
- Illinois Railway Museum, in Union, is the largest railway museum in the United States.
- Muirhead Farmhouse, in Hampshire, is the only farmhouse ever designed and built by Frank Lloyd Wright in his lifetime.
- In 2010, Good Morning America crowned 2nd Street in West Dundee the Best Block in America.
- The Headless Horseman makes an appearance on Halloween every year in Sleepy Hollow. This is a community tradition that brings all the families together.
- Bartlett is home to North America’s largest traditional Hindu mandir, the B.A.P.S. Shri Swaminarayan.
- Carpentersville is home to the 25-acre bike park, Andres Bike Park.
- In 2011, the Village of South was ranked in the CNN/Money’s Top 100 again for economic strength, great job opportunities, top schools and safe streets.
- Santa’s Village Azoosment Park, in East Dundee, is celebrating 55 years of bringing thousands of guests from all over the country!
Arts capital of the suburbs
Elgin is becoming increasingly recognized for its edgy creative scene and vibrant arts community.
- The Elgin Symphony Orchestra performs at the Hemmens Cultural Center.
- Live artist interpretations take place weekly at Side Street Studio.
- Work from local artists lines the walls of Artspace and HOTI Design.
- Festivals include Art & Soul on the Fox and Elgin Fringe Festival.
Fox River Bike Trail
Explore over 40 miles of bike trail built on former railroad tracks, passing through 11 local communities. Find out more about the Fox River Bike Trail.
Golf lovers’ paradise
The Northern Fox River Valley is particularly rich in great public golf courses.
- Highlands of Elgin was #2 on Golfweek’s list of the best State by State Courses you can play.
- Highlands of Elgin was also listed #8 by Golfweek in their list of Best Municipal Courses.
- Wing Park Course is the oldest nine-hole municipal golf course in Illinois, established in 1908.
Many of the communities in the Northern Fox River Valley were founded to build and service the railroads in the area. The area is now rich in railroad history.
- Take the Metra from Chicago to honor the region’s railroad pride.
- Visit the Fox River Trolley Museum in East Dundee.
- Visit the Illinois Railway Museum, in Union, the largest railway museum in the USA.
ESO Ensemble to present free Around the World with Percussion concert at Geneva Public Library August 16, 10:30 amThe Elgin Symphony Orchestra (ESO) Percussion Ensemble will present Around the World with Percussion at the Geneva Public Library, 127 James Street, on Wednesday, August 16 from 10:30-11:30 am. This free program will circle the globe and visit countries around the world. The ensemble shows-off the incredible variety of instruments that make up the percussion family, and introduces children to music...
Judson Prepares for Outstanding Homecoming Weekend of ActivitiesJudson University is once again preparing for a festive and full weekend of food, fun and #judsonawesome fellowship during Homecoming 2017. The three-day extravaganza, which will run Thursday–Saturday, Sept. 21-23, will be filled with dynamic speakers, great music, class reunions and connections with family and friends. On Thursday, Sept. 21, Judson will host its popular business-themed Network...
Judson Listed as a Top Christian SchoolContact: Mary Dulabaum Director of Marketing and Communications Judson University 1151 N. State St., Elgin, IL 60123 Office: 847-628-2089, cell 847-989-7723 Judson Listed as a Top Christian School (ELGIN, IL – July 6, 2017) The religious educational blog, Theology Degrees, recently named Judson University as one of the top 50 Protestant evangelical universities in the United...
Summer Interns at the CVBFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE June 27, 2017 Contact: Krisilee Murphy firstname.lastname@example.org Nichole Bear and Meg Heimbach- Summer 2017 Interns at the Elgin CVB The CVB is excited to announce a packed one-two punch for the Summer of 2017. South Elgin, IL native Nicole Bear, 19, is a Summer 2017 intern in the Marketing and Graphic...
City of Elgin’s Fourth of July ParadeIn conjunction with the Gail Borden Library’s Dinosaur Giants: an Exhibit from the Sereno Fossil Lab, this year’s parade theme is “Prehistoric Creatures.” Participants are encouraged to decorate floats or wear costumes resembling prehistoric dinosaurs, birds and reptiles. The parade, held on Tuesday, July 4, kicks off with the National Anthem at 9 a.m. followed by a “Pooch...
Elgin Summer Theatre presents The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling BeeFor info & poster graphic, contact Jenny Sherman 847-931-5903 or Sherman_j@cityofelgin.org Elgin Summer Theatre presents The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Elgin, IL – Elgin Summer Theatre (EST) presents THE 25TH ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE which will run at The Hemmens Cultural Center July 14 – 16 and July 21 – 23, 2017....
Program Change for ESO 2017-18 Season Classics 2 Concerts- Guest Artist Amy Dickson Cancels; Jennifer Frautschi to AppearFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 18 May 2017 Contact: Diane Handler d.handler@ElginSymphony.Org Program Change for ESO 2017-18 Season Classics 2 Concerts- Guest Artist Amy Dickson Cancels; Jennifer Frautschi to Appear The Elgin Symphony Orchestra (ESO) announces a program change to the 2017-18 Season Classics 2 concerts November 4 & 5, 2017. Guest artist, saxophonist Amy Dickson,...
Strike Out Cancer GameTo Benefit the Jason Motte Foundation Hampshire, IL February 27, 2017: The high school baseball programs from Hampshire & McHenry have joined forces with Colorado Rockies reliever Jason Motte in an effort to raise money for people affected by cancer. The Strike Out Cancer campaign is directed by the Jason Motte Foundation. On May 19th...
ART IN THE PARK SLATED FOR MAY 14 IN EAST DUNDEEMore then 20 artisans will be displaying their work at East Dundee’s newest event, Art in the Park, which will be held on May 14, 10a-2p, on the grounds of the Depot on River Street. Visitors are invited to celebrate Mother’s Day by strolling among booths displaying hand crafted jewelry; candles; custom made woodwork; aromatics;...
ESO Board President Karen Schock nominated for a YWCA Elgin Leader Luncheon AwardElgin Symphony Orchestra (ESO) Board President Karen Schock has been nominated for a YWCA Elgin Leader Luncheon Award in the Volunteer & Community Service category. Nominees will be honored at the 34th Annual Leader Luncheon on Thursday, May 11, 11 am at The Seville in Streamwood, IL. Guest speaker will be State Senator Cristina Castro. ...
View Press Releases
Sign up for the Elgin Area CVB newsletter
Sign up for our newsletter to find out about upcoming Northern Fox River Valley meetings and events, business and networking events, tradeshows and marketing opportunities.